Lansdowne U12 Mini Rugby hosted Naas RFC U12 squads 02 Dec2012

Dec 04, 2012

Lansdowne Tigers U12  vs Naas U12

On a bitter cold morning, the parents deserve enormous credit for supporting the team from the sideline and not the comfort of the clubhouse against the most physical opposition to date , a highly committed and combative Naas side. As is our teams want we started slowly and conceded an early try, but as on previous occasions hit back immediately with a superbly worked try from prop Harry Cullen. In a sea saw first half it was Naas who again scored. However some superb continuity work with a number of seamless phases held together by a growing partnership between school mates Ethan Lynch and Jake Hickey produced a fine try for the tireless Harvey O’Reilly Dempsey who stepped nicely of his right foot for the equaliser. The tigers then took the lead through the prolific Conor Carson who showed great versatility from the wing in the second half. Lansdowne then made it 4-2 just as half time approached with Jamie Kavanagh not to be out done in the front try scoring club showing his strength to force his way over from a line out on the 5 meter line.

The second half started with a Naas try but the tigers were not to be out done, the ever committed and grafter of the pack Luan Rogers ably assisted by Eoin McKeon set up another try for the in form Mr Carson . Matthew Escott’s strong and committed running gained valuable yards but at the expense of an injury to his knee, which saw Conor Carson switch to the wing and score a further 2 trys. Jack Maguire and Kyle Donnelly came off the bench making valuable contributions to an attritional pack effort. The man of the match performance was however from the phenomenally hard tackling centre Joe Greevy who was eventually rewarded for his efforts with a try in the corner. Naas added one more try to bring the final score to 8-4 in Lansdowne’s favour.

This was the teams most complete performance to date and was done the hard way judging by the litany of attendances to St Johns Ambulance , a testament to both teams resolve.


Final Score Lansdowne Tigers 8 Naas 4

(Author : Conor Lynch)

Lansdowne Lions U12 squad vs. Naas U12

The Lansdowne Lions U12 squad hosted Naas RFC U12 at Lansdowne Road on Sunday morning on 02 Dec 2012; Lansdowne Lions winning by 6 tries to 4 tries. 

This was a huge contest by two teams who played the game of rugby in the best possible spirit.  It was a tough physical game and not for ‘shrinking violets’.  Michael Ryan and Marcus Nagle (who were selected from the Tigers to play in this match) fitted seamlessly into the team.  The game started at full pace and never dropped below that standard for the entire match.  Naas began strongly and scored the first try within 2 minutes.  Things were looking ominous! Then the Lansdowne forwards proceeded to ruck and tackle with great efficiency.  This resulted in a try from scrum half Harry Colbert from the back of a ruck within minutes.  The Lansdowne backs marshalled by the excellent out half Niall Carroll continued to cut out all of Naas attempted attacks. This resulted in another try from hooker Tom Cullen after an excellent pick and go by the forwards.  Naas were at this stage defending furiously with Lee Barron, Hugo O’Malley and Jack Byrne putting fierce pressure on the Naas pack.  Michael Ryan and Paddy Morgan were cutting their way through the Naas defence only to be stopped by some fantastic defending by Naas.  Due to our shortage of backs, any injury was going to be a concern to the coaching staff.  When Marcus Nagle was injured David Madigan (normally a Lions front forward) was drafted into the back line due to his ability to play both as a forward and a back.  David proceeded to provide some great direct and incisive runs at the Naas defensive line which put Naas very much on the back foot.  However, Naas with their very strong pack and good runners wide, were unlucky not to score more in the first half. But Lansdowne pressure eventually told just before the break and Naas were unable to stop Evan Boyle from scoring another try a meter from the try line to make it .  3-1 at half time. 

The second half began at the same pace.  The Naas pack continued to hammer at the Lansdowne defensive line which eventually produced a try.  Score was now 3-2.  Following some great rucking by Lee Barron and  Hugo O’Malley, scrum half Harry Colbert flashed the ball wide through Niall Carroll and Michael Ryan to the speedster Paddy Morgan who flew through the Naas defence to score a great try. Score 4-2.  Naas responded with vengeance and scored two further tries to make the score 4-4 with only 5 minutes left. This was now the most critical point of the match and was about to test the resolve of both teams.  The Lansdowne team dug deep and produced a relentless high tempo attack in the final 5 minutes.  Tom Cullen, assisted by David Madigan now restored to the pack,  twice threw his body bravely on the ball in open play which allowed Evan Boyle to pick and drive for the line to score a very important try.  Score 5-4.  Naas were tiring and Lansdowne continued to attack and to up the pace.  Another quick ball from the ruck allowed out half Niall Carroll to release Michael Ryan at centre to run at the Naas defence and off loaded a great pass to the waiting wing Marcus Nagle to score in the corner on the stroke of full time.   Ray Carroll excelled as usual as the match referee.

Great praise to both teams who played their hearts out.  The Lansdowne Lions produced a great display of grit, determination and skill to overcome a strong and determined Naas team. This now brings the Lions record to 5 wins from 6 games. 


Final score:  Lansdowne Lions 6  Naas 4

(Author Sean O'Shea)

Lansdowne U12 Sharks vs. Naas U12 squad 

The Sharks had another very entertaining and hard fought match with our visitors Naas on the back pitch in Lansdowne Road that resulted in a 5-5 draw. This match was another big test for the Sharks and a draw was a fair result for both teams. After a nervy start which resulted in two early tries for Naas the lads showed great determination in coming back to lead at half time 3-2 thanks to a great hat-trick from Jack Barry. Overall, apart from a few missed tackles, the Sharks continue to perform well with all of the team contributing. The sides were evenly matched with some good running rugby from both teams. Both Jimmy Crowe and Kirill McGowan made some great breaks and Jimmy was rewarded with a try following a great backline move and excellent finish in the second half. The second half itself was very tight with both teams making line breaks but thanks to some great work in the pack particularly Cormac Dee-Brown and Eoin Little we held our own and won some important ruck ball and even a couple of the Naas line outs. Naas went ahead mid-way through the second half but Lansdowne went ahead again from another good backs move that resulted in a try for Davy Bell in the corner. Gavin McGuiness who replaced the injured Kirill McGowan made a great contribution when he came on but in the end Lansdowne, who were pushing for the winner with Louis McCabe, James Dempsey and Peter McGuiness all gaining ground with the ball in hand, unfortunately couldn’t breach the determined Naas defence. James Agnew is continuing to improve at scrum half and in general the backline are starting to recognise the benefit of passing the ball out the line. As always we are grateful to Eamon Dempsey who is becoming a very accomplished referee for his handling of the game!!

Final score:  Lansdowne Sharks 5  Naas 5

(Author : David Bell)


Related Articles