Lansdowne U12 Mini Rugby Squads host ‘Rock’ U12 squads 18 Nov 2012

Nov 19, 2012

Metro Match : Lansdowne U12 Tigers vs. Blackrock U12

A poor first 5 minutes when the tigers defence went asleep and left Rock in for 2 very soft didn’t look good and a rout was on the cards but to their credit, the tigers came roaring back and ‘won’ the remaining 35 minutes by 4 tries -2 tries with what was arguably their best performance of the season with all 14 players in the squad getting at least a half game each and contributing to the cause . The forwards ruck ‘n maul game was good and the backline moved very sweetly in the first half if tiring a little in the second half.  The man of the match Harry Cullen made the most of his late call up to the starting team after Jamie Kavanagh failed a late fitness test. Harry played his best game ever in the famous Lansdowne FC colours.

Rock told us afterwards that it was the best match that they played all season and gave fair praise for a game that we deserved to win and would have won only for a late call by yours truly (acting as an honest linesman) calling back an attacking LFC winger for a ‘foot in touch’ to deny Lansdowne a late win. 

Final Score : Lansdowne Tigers 4 v Blackrock 4

(Author :Kieran Mulligan)

Metro Match, Lansdowne U12 Cheetahs  vs. Blackrock U12

Lansdowne entertained Blackrock in a cracker of a match at Bird Ave. We took the game to Rock immediately from the KO and we were unfortunate not to take an early lead. The game was very evenly matched with Lansdowne dominating up front while the Rock backline were well organized. Our backline struggled to get their passing game going, mainly due to the fact that the Rock backs were straying offside frequently when defending. Particular mention must go to our pack where our scrum in particular was very good. Our rucking and mauling is also improving. Some notable tackles were made by Scott Healy, Paul Kinney & James Maguire.  Rock were using their backs well on the counterattack on a wide pitch and led by 4 tries to one at half time. Again, this is something that can be fixed at Training as we need to be aware of our defensive line-up and not commit too many bodies at the breakdown. At half –time we talked about tackling, team spirit and the fact that we should get our backs to do what Rock were doing. i.e. To “ get in their faces!”.

The second half was tremendous, with the Lansdowne forwards Kyle Donnelly, Cian Dahouh & Conor McGrath again taking on the responsibility and punching holes in the Rock defence. In the backs Mathew Boyle ran well with the ball and Eoin Mac Mahon counter-rucked well at the breakdown. We scored twice and we were hammering on the Rock line at the end, and Ronan Shaw was unlucky to spill the ball over the line from a ruck. It was heart-warming for both the coaching team and the parents to see the effort put in by the Cheetahs.

Lansdowne Try scorers : Scott Healy (1), Conor McGrath (2).

Final Score : Lansdowne 3 Blackrock 6

(Author  : Mark McMahon)


Metro Match, Lansdowne U12 Lions vs. Blackrock U12

The Lions played Blackrock U12 ‘A’ squad in Bird Avenue on Sunday morning on 18 November, Lansdowne winning by 5 tries to 2 tries. 

This was a very competitive game between two very enthusiastic sides. Lansdowne started slowly but opened the scoring through a forward drive with Hugo O’Malley getting the final touchdown. Blackrock had a fine strong pack and began to retain possession well. They equalised through a well worked move in midfield. The Lions came more into the game as the half wore on with Louis Clarke, Jack Byrne and Tom Cullen competing very well at the breakdown. The forward pressure finally told when, from a solid scrum, the ball
was moved to Niall Carroll who dived over to make it 2-1 at half-time. 

Lansdowne, having received a suitable reminder from the coaches at half-time to up their game, opened the second half more briskly. The forward battles were always strongly contested by both sides with Evan Boyle, Lee Barron and David Madigan coming more into the game for Lansdowne. Well marshalled by Harry Colbert at scrum-half, the backs too began to run more directly led by James Tynan and Senan O’Shea. From a nice break and offload from Paddy Morgan, Niall Carroll scored in the corner and Harry Clarke tagged on another score to make it 4-1 to Lansdowne. However, the strong Blackrock pack had their say and they added a score to make it 4-2. Lansdowne Lions continued to press and with the last play of the game, the forwards and backs combined well for a lovely score with Sam Small finishing it off in the corner. This brings the Lions tally of 4 wins from 5 games.

Final score:  Lansdowne Lions 5 Blackrock 2 

(Author Ray Carroll)

Metro Match, Lansdowne U12 Sharks vs. Blackrock U12

The Sharks played out a very competitive 3-3 draw against Blackrock in Bird Avenue. Though we were missing one or two players once again the Sharks showed significant improvement, particularly in the rucks where the excellent session run by the coach Eamonn Dempsey the previous week reaped immediate results. Once again all of the players continue to improve with James Dempsey and Cillian Madigan getting stuck in and disrupting the Blackrock attack. The tackling has also improved and the two Louis’s McCabe and Kearney, who and a strong game overall including a fine try, put their opposite number under a lot of pressure! We also had full on scrums for the first time and whilst initially we struggled a bit, once Eamon got the second row pairing to lock their legs it was much improved! The team played particularly well in the first half that resulted going into the break 2-0 at half time thanks to two good tries,. However as the half wore on Rock started to get more into the game and only for some brave last ditch tackling would have scored before half time. Rock started the second half strongly and after some great running they eventually crossed the line for their first try. The Sharks hit back straight away with another good scrum and ruck resulting in a fine individual try for Kirill McGowan. However, Rock weren’t giving up and scored two unanswered tries to bring the game to 3-3. Both sides had chances to win the game but again the defence prevailed, with Davy Bell making a try saving tackle near the end. A draw was probably a fair result in the end and once again the team have reacted very well to the coaching and in particular the guys who only took up the game this year. Also as we have said before the lads are benefitting hugely from playing teams at their level and also by training as a group together.


Final score:  Lansdowne Sharks 3 Blackrock 3


(Author David Bell)


Related Articles