U17: Lansdowne 28 Seapoint 22

Dec 02, 2013

On a pleasantly mild December afternoon, Lansdowne U17s moved their League campaign to Ballycorus to face Seapoint.

In a game of two halves Lansdowne came away with 2 well deserved points in a cracking league tie against a very  resilient and spirited  Seapoint XV.

The game was evenly contested from the start with both sides having chances and equally both teams  defences were excelling.

A poor defensive kick out from Seapoint in their own 22 was well fielded by Tadgh Brennan who ran the ball back. A quick flick pass from Liam Mulvihill  sent Alex Fish unopposed through a huge hole in the Seapoint defence to score a fortuitous try which was neatly converted by Liam Mulvihill.

Shortly afterwards a quickly tapped penalty allowed Harry Brennan to skip through some shoddy Seapoint defending . Harry then linked with Adam Browne who off-loaded to Tadgh Brennan to finish off an excellent score. Again, Liam Mulvihill converted well to leave the score at 14-0.

The Lansdowne pack , who in general were quite enough throughout the game, made good ground when both Thomas Costello and Lucas David carried well and a quick ruck ball allowed Adam Browne to score another impressive Lansdowne try, this time converted by Jack Mulcahy.

Lansdowne were rampant and continued their dominance at the start of the 2nd half, when Seapoint failed to find touch from a penalty.

Adam Browne fielded the ball on the half way line and then weaved an incredible run through the heart of the Seapoint side to score a magical try under the posts. Jack Mulcahy converted and at 28-0 Lansdowne looked home and dry.

The bench was duly emptied and then Seapoint began an amazing comeback. First , from a free kick and with Lansdowne totally exposed , Seapoint scored wide on the left. Then Lansdowne were lucky not concede when Seapoint ran out of defence only to be foiled short of the line. From an ensuing ruck the referee awarded Seapoint  a dubious try when the ball was seen to be spilt when  going over. Lansdowne appeared to panic an after another infringement Seapoint scored and converted  from a lineout. Some dubious refereeing decisions allowed Seapoint to use their forwards to dictate the game. After Seapoint were bundled into touch close to the Lansdowne line, the referee bizarrely gave the lineout to Seapoint who caught and drove to make the score 28-22 . Lansdowne finally woke up and held out for the win.

Man of the Match: Jack Mulcahy


Related Articles