U17 Report: Lansdowne 27 Greystones 36

Nov 03, 2013

Lansdowne U17s  winning streak came to an end today after going down to a well organised and committed Greystones team in a friendly fixture at Bird Ave.
After kicking off into the breeze the first quarter of the game was keenly contested by both sides. With the wind behind them Greystones were happy to kick deep and keep Lansdowne under pressure in their own 22. This pressure eventually paid off as Greystones backline slick passing sent their pacey winger over to score under the posts. This was converted and shortly afterwards a penalty for Greystones for a breakdown offence yielded another three points to the visitors.
Lansdowne were making too  many handling errors and our usual crisp passing game wasn't working well. Against the wind and  in our own 22 our defensive kicking was sometimes indecisive. However, as in recent weeks, Lansdowne started to feel their way into the game and a good passing movement yielded a try in the corner by the Tadgh Brennan. Shortly afterwards Lansdowne lost Conor MacMahon and Lorcan Rooney through injury.
Just after half time Greystones scored again and were definitely getting on top, having supplemented their team with a few of their  U18 squad (as agreed before game). Having already lost two from the pack, Lansdowne then lost Lucas David, our French 2nd row with a shoulder injury. At this stage Lansdowne were exerting a lot of pressure on Greystones, notably after great carries from Alex McEvoy and Rian O'Flaherty. This eventually led to a block down and try by Rob Kelly. 
Arthur Greene, who was having  a good game, then departed with a knee injury. Because of this there was major reshuffling in the pack involving some of our backs playing out of position. Some very poor tackling mid way through the 2nd half allowed Greystones to score two tries in quick succession.  At 29-13 down with ten  minutes to go Lansdowne looked dead & buried, but to their credit they started to play the rugby we know they are capable of. Led by a rampant Harry Brennan,  making a series of storming runs in midfield,  they  came roaring back with tries from Thomas Costello and Alex Kinahan. Both of these were excellently converted by Adam Curry to bring the score to 27-29. With two minutes left on the clock, Lansdowne could not find  possession  and it was Greystones  who scored with the last play of the game. An entertaining game and a wake up call to the squad that more work needs to be done. Our next fixture is a HOME league game v DLSP next Sunday 10th in Lansdowne at 12.45. 
Man of the Match : Alex McEvoy

Related Articles