Skip to main content


Metro League Division 1

J1 v St Mary’s in Templeville Road

38-5 (Bonus Point win with 4 tries.)


A dominant display from the J1 team seems the best way to describe this game, lifting them to the top of the Metro League Division One with other results going their way.

It was a performance full of positives for the coaching staff and management in what has proved a tricky away fixture in the past against a plucky St. Mary’s side who have never stopped trying.
Lansdowne played into a strong breeze in the first half and took the lead early with a try from no. 8 Darragh Murphy, following some phase rugby from the team. The pattern continued with Lansdowne having a lot of the ball and using it through the hands to gain field position. However, following a breakout by St Mary’s and a kick through the home side, they broke away to score and level the match. Neither side converting their opening try. The rest of the half was managed well by Lansdowne who kept the score board ticking over and with three penalties, expertly taken by Stephen Madigan, we left the half time score…14-5.

With the prevailing conditions now in their favour; the second half began with Lansdowne gaining good field positions by using their kicking game. This led to a further penalty goal from Madigan, bringing the score to 17-5. Some changes followed unfortunately due to injury, including Rory Madigan who performed notable well during his time on the field.  Despite this, the personnel changes served to galvanise the Lansdowne Eight, and the scrum became dominant, allowing the backline to probe for gaps and put the team in advantageous scoring positions.

It was from one of these forays that allowed for the J1’s second try, with Ronan Shaw crashing over in the corner, following some great team play.  The extras followed ad with the bit between their teeth the team went hunting for more tries. Another followed from Michael O’Brien with the extras added leaving the score line at 31-5.

A special mention must go to O’Brien who got through an immense amount of work and whose tackling defence was exemplary.

There was still fourteen minutes to play and this J1 outfit smelled blood. They went after the bonus point and gain with cleaver tactical kicking, secured a position in the red zone. What followed was a try and conversion from Rory Madigan to make the score 38-5. This meant the game finished with the win and bonus point.

A highly satisfying performance from a dominant team, showing skill, well drilled game management, to secure an important away win and further build momentum. This stretches their win stay to four. Well to all involved in what was the proverbial good day in the office.


Match Report – John Kilroy

Leave a Reply